Monday, October 30, 2006

the true nature of naturespies-PostgreSQL, GIS,GPS, photos

Dear readers,
I don't know if i have mentioned this before but I had loftier dreams
for naturespies than in its current incarnation. The idea was a photo
database preferably with GPS coords and time of spotting of the
individual(hmm shld add comments about individual markings to id the
individual). The idea was a wildlife research resource. So that
population statistics and even movements of these animals can be
tracked and be used in studies. Trap and recapture info would be great
too. The initial idea was met with slight opposition which are valid
concerns about the data being used for poaching. (so i think i should
refine the idea to keeping the coords data open to people who email me
for access). I am still in the process of refining the design of the
database. Any comments and ideas are appreciated! email me if privacy
is required :)

No comments: