Thursday, November 08, 2007

Asian Koel Eudynamys scolopacea eating Alexandra Palm fruits by Kevin


1c Koel eating, originally uploaded by koiyau.





By a stroke of luck I managed to capture this series of a female Asian Koel Eudynamys scolopacea) swallowing a large Alexandra Palm fruit! (Archontophoenix alexandrae). Actually, I could have been luckier and gotten group shots. I was drawn to the loud calls of the birds (yes pural) as there were two males vying for her attention. strangely it was her that was doing all the calling. It was quite a cacophony of resounding bird calls. At first I had assumed its the males vying for attention from a potential mate. However, it seems like the female was more interested in food.

The whole thing was so fascinating for me. Ha but apparently there are others who are quite angry with the calls of the koel in their estate and wished them gone(can't find the article again). I would think Koels are the least of our noise pollution. Buses have deafening beeps promptly declare to the entire bus that u have paid ur fare. I really can't fathom why.

Do also check out Dr YC Wee's entries on Koels and Alexandra Palms!

To swallow and regurgitate? Not the Yellow-vented Bulbul!

Asian Koel eating Indian cherry">Asian Koel eating Indian cherry

No comments: